Welcome!

Welcome to my list of the top backpacking spots in the United States. This list is a combination of trips that I have taken, trips I would like to take, and trips that friends have taken and told me about. I am excited to share these with you, and would love your feedback if you have any suggestions for the list.

The pictures used have either been taken by me personally, or taken from the National Park Service website unless otherwise noted.

Happy Camping!

Monday, November 10, 2008

Yellowstone, WY


One of the great trails within Yellowstone National Park is the Black Canyon Trail. This trail comes as a recommendation from my friend Jenna who hiked the trail during the Summer of 2007. She told me that the trail was about 18 miles long and took their group about 2 days to complete. There are plenty of spots along the trail to set up a tent and camp for the night, making it a great weekend experience. The trail starts 5 miles east of Mammoth Hot Springs on the way to Towerr Junction. The trail begins with some meadows and prairies, but eventually hits some rocky difficult terrain.

Along the trail, there is one 15 foot waterfall that supposedly makes quite the roar as you are passing near it. According to the Yellowstone Backpacking Guide, there are some great side hikes around the Yellowstone river that you can take if you would like to venture off the beaten path. Eventually the trail winds up outside the park in Gardiner MT where you can either turn around and head back, or catch a ride back to the trailhead.


There are many other parks in Yellowstone that you should feel free to discover, but this is one that has come to me highly recommended by a friend. I have posted a few pictures to give you an idea of the beauty this trail has to offer.

No comments: