Welcome!

Welcome to my list of the top backpacking spots in the United States. This list is a combination of trips that I have taken, trips I would like to take, and trips that friends have taken and told me about. I am excited to share these with you, and would love your feedback if you have any suggestions for the list.

The pictures used have either been taken by me personally, or taken from the National Park Service website unless otherwise noted.

Happy Camping!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Denali National Park, AK


Denali National Park is currently on the top of my list of places I want to travel to and do some hiking and backpacking. I have never been to Alaska but hope to go very soon. From what I have read and heard, Denali National Park offers some of the best chances to see wildlife in the US because of it's secluded location, far from any civilization. I have done alot of reading on the backcountry passes for Denali and I am very inspired to try and obtain one some day. With the backcountry pass, you plan your trip based on maps from the park and are free to hike anywhere in the park you would like. At night, you need to camp in designated areas, but they are far from other people giving you a very secluded feeling.

The wildlife in Denali is spectacular with over thirty nine species of mammals documented so far. The park outlines "The Big Five" mammals that people want to see when they visit.

They are:
Moose
Caribou
Dall Sheep
Wolf
Grizzly Bear


One of the things they talk about extensively at Denali is the amount of bears located within the park. Backpackers need to be aware of the Grizzly Bears and use protective containers for their food, and practice bear safety techniques while hiking. Bears are just as scared of us as we are of them, so the the National park website outlines a few ways to make sure hikers don't encounter bears.

This is one of the parks that I most look forward to backpacking, let me know if you have had any great experiences here!

No comments: