Welcome!

Welcome to my list of the top backpacking spots in the United States. This list is a combination of trips that I have taken, trips I would like to take, and trips that friends have taken and told me about. I am excited to share these with you, and would love your feedback if you have any suggestions for the list.

The pictures used have either been taken by me personally, or taken from the National Park Service website unless otherwise noted.

Happy Camping!

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Appalachian Trail, NH

The Appalachian mountains provide some of the greatest mountain landscapes in the United States. I have traveled through the mountains a few times, and every time I am in awe of the views and sights they have to offer. I have never backpacked through these mountains, but I have found a trail that I would love to visit some day. Nestled in the northeastern corner of the United States is a trail that i found through a community I am involved in at backpacker.com. The trail starts in New Hampshire and goes about 28 miles, winding up in Maine. The trail offers many lookout points and neat landscapes that are among none other. Here are a few pictures from some people on backpacker.com:

The trail is quite strenuous according to backpacker.com and the pictures that they have provided. I feel like it would all be worth it when you find small lakes within the mountains and all the wildlife surrounding you on your hike through the wilderness. I am not sure what this location has for camping opportunities. The backpacker website has a few locations of small cabin's and other campgrounds listed, along with their corresponding GPS coordinates along the trail. This would be a great hike to spread over a few days because of the tough nature of the trail. I hope that someday I can head out to the Appalachian Mountains and do some hiking on this trail or something similar. If you have experiences in this area, feel free to share them in the comments section. See ya out there!

No comments: